Monday, June 14, 2010

I can pay your rent with my starbucks frappicuino...

I've been here for a month now, and still, it seems pretty surreal that I'm pursuing a dream that I've had since I was eight years old. Yesterday was one of those days that smacked me in the face and said," Kelsey, wake up-- this is Malawi. This is Africa" it's hard going home each day to a warm shower and the welcoming of a bed to sleep in. It doesn't feel right that i can go home and essentially "wah away the dirt; wash away the day's struggles." it's something that I've dealt with since I got here--and still don't realy know the best way around it. Yesterday we went to the slums in Mgona- a piece of land right outside of town where there is no "village sense of community," people don't have extended family around.. Orphans, HIV and malaria are commonalities in this area. We first went to a presentation where a women brought all efferent types of leaves and seeds and foods that they use as home remedies for illnesses such a malaria, diarrhea, ulcers, loss of appetite, etc. It was really interesting for Vanessa and I, granted we are nutrition majors and starting nutrition education talks this week with the women. We were able to take away vital information that we can spread to women in neighboring villages; from boiling mango leaves to relieve diarrhea, to grinding avacado pits for boosting the immune system. We are very excited to be starting out first talks today.. And Keta was very impressed with the layout of our talk, and what we plan to talk about. 

After the presentation, I was given the opportunity to go with the Home Based Care workers on their visits to the people in the slums. This is the first thing that teams do when they come to SomebodyCares, but since I arrived a few days after the team, I initially missed out on this opportunity. The home based care workers regulary visit hundreds of homes each wk, checking up on thr people, seeing if there is any errands or chores they can do, possibly offering them training in tailoring or other trades to helpthem get back on their feet. Cathy told me that of the 5 women somebodyCares trained to be tailors, all 5 of them are now tailors and are making a living fOr themselves. That's incredible-- especially for Mgona.  1 out of the 5 would have been amazing; let alone all 5. 
The first hut we visited was occupid by an older woman whose son took care of her. She was on ARVs for HIV and she was taking medication for tuberculosis. She was quite frail, and had a hard time moving around. She graciously welcomed us into her home, and we just asked her how she was doing and if there were any chores or errands we could do for her while we were there. She specifically asked me to pray for her, and I felt quite honored. After praying over this woman, she was so thankful that we had taken the time to isit her, and that I was willing to pray for her. Goodness, the little blessings that mean so much to the people here.. How they teach me so many lessons on a daily basis. The next place we visited the woman was a widow who had 5 children. She was sick and didn't have any medication, and her 2 oldest children were well enough to attend school. She said her 3 other children were very sick, one of which was laying on her lap. She told us that he was 5 and that he had stopped speaking and walking when he was 2. His body was so depleted that he couldn't move; couldn't speak- he couldn't even respond. I was shocked by this obviously, as her son lay almost lifeless on her lap, and completely broke down when she told us that one of her other kids is the same way; not talking, not walking etc. SomebodyCares has tried to train her in tailoring, but she has no one to watch the children while she is away, and is too sick to leave her hut. She has no source of income with 5 children to support. Again, this woman asked me to pray for her. Where to start? Where does this woman turn to for hope?.. The same Father that sustains me sustains her. He gives her hope, He gives her life, He gives her strength to grt thru each day. That prayer was hard- not knowing where to start as everything I have been blessed with is running thru my head, and comparing it to the impoverished state that this woman lives in on a day to day basis... (sigh). I'll consider mY soul to be completely ROCKED from her story... And from her, I have learned SO much. Thank you Jesus.
The last place we visited the couple was on meds for HIV (HIV plagues the slums). A home based care worker prayed for them, and asked if they were okay on rent payments, as they had previously fallen behind. I asked how much their rent was for their 2 room hut-- the main room  I could touch all 4 walls when standing in the middle, and I can imagine thr bedroom was much smaller. Rent was 800 kwacha a month-- that's $4.54. Yes, and they struggle to make ends meet each month. I think I will think twice about spending my money on mindless things such as starbucks.. My once a week indulgence could be paying a years worth of rent quite easily. I then began to think of everything that I buy that is around $4.50.. And gosh-- so many things I buy from a gallon and a half of gas to a pint of strawberries to a tip I left for thr waiter could pay their rent. Once again, thank you Jesus for rocking my soul. 
We were able to hand out a few soccer balls while leaving Mgona. A group of boys were playing outside te community center withtheir plastic bag made ball, and so we gave them oneto play with for the time being. Once we decided to leave, we told them that they could keep the soccer ball, and they were absolutely ecstatic. The kids started jumping in thr air, kissing the ball and chanting "good day" as we drove off. Again, my soul was rocked. Thank you to everyone who donated shorts and balls, finances and prayers. You are truly making a difference in these people's lives, and even moreso, my life. 
Tuesday was our first nutrition talk, and we had a fairly small group of 15 women or so, which was nice for the first talk. They were very receptive to the information that we shared; 6 food groups, the importance of each group, daily meals, feeding children, importance of breastfeeding, sanitation and portion control. It went very well, and granted that Vanessa doesnt like public speaking, she did great! The women were very appreciative and learned some preventative techniques as well. Afterwards We were able to serve the children their daily porridge.. 110 hungry mouths!
Today we went back to chechemba and chikudzulire; 2 villages we had visited when the team was here. We did our nutrition education class for about 65 women, who were very interactive during our talk, which made it very easy for us! We went to these 2 villages to introduce farming and gardening techniques and animal husbandry. SomebodyCares was able to purchase seed, fertilizer, pesticide and pigs through sponsors and donors so that the village people can learn a new trade, and learn as a village how to be sustainable. They were very excited to be getting all their goods to get their projects started, and it will be interesting to see how things unfold. 
South Africa plays uruaguay tonight--BAFANA BAFANA!!!  it's been soccer fever ever night at Keta's house.. Filled with the annoying sounds of the vuvuzela's (the loud horns). All 3 of us have them and cheer on our teams proudly. How about that US game against England?! We are still talking about it in the office! It was a great first game for the states! As always, thank you for your prayers and continued support-- time is really starting to fly by as the weeks get busier and busier. Please pray for my health. As of lately I had stomach pains, which I later found out was from an ulcer. The doctor took me off my malaria medication (you have to take malaria meds everday while you're here). I have an appt later this week to see when I can start taking my malaria medicatin again. The ulcer medication seems to be working, slowly but surely, so I'm still having some discomfort. Zicomo!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment