I'm in the middle of my work here, and starting to realize that the end of my trip is almost around the corner. Just when I was getting comfortable with the training sessions and nutrition talks, and now I have to start tying up loose ends! I guess I'll just have to come back!!
So far, I've been able to educate over 300 women (and a few men) about basic nutrition education and it has gone very well. They are very limited in regards to the importance of each food group, but have welcomed my teachings, especially when talking about nutrition for their children. Yesterday was my favorite group of women so far. When we arrived, they were playing net ball and having a great time with one another, which carried over into a great nutrition discussion. They were really responsive to my questions, and were asking for advice... Yes, children in the villages also hate vegetables and so their mothers are asking me how to get their children to eat them; it's a worldwide epidemic. Two chiefs even showed up for our talk, which is a very big deal in the village. I didn't get a chance to talk to them before we started, as they came in a little late, but I had noticed one of the men nodding and affirming everything I was saying throughout the talk. It caught me a little off guard at first, since he was so affirming of what I was saying before Theresa could translate. Once I was finished with the session, he stood up and introduced himself as the chief in impeccable English, and continued to thank me and bless me for my teachings and my guidance. He said how grateful he was for me to be there, and the affirmation from the rest of the women really touched my heart. The women started passing me their babies one by one, just so I could hold them! It was just a other experience that when we were driving away, I said "okay God, thanks for showing me why I'm here, again!!" Everyday, it's another reminder, or 2 or 3 or 4 as to why I'm here. It's funny to look back 4 months or so ago and think how I was so unsure about venturing out into this unknown; not knowing what I had to offer, and straddling the fence- one minute I was going to Malawi, the next I was staying in San Diego. I think I made the right choice :). I've grown so much on this trip, and I've been stretched in ways that God had already prepared me for; yet I had no idea I could do. I sometimes think God is sitting in His office with his hands behind his head, relaxed in His leather chair and His feet rested on top of His desk, and laughing at me. He is just waiting for me to realize what He's created me to do, and I'm finding things out bit by bit, completely amazed, and He's just laughing, as if it's news to Him of these things I've found. If you ask me, I'm sure that God has quite the sense of humor... Just food for thought.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment